Parole denied for Edward Seibold | News
AUBURN, AL (WTVM)- Tuesday morning, one of Alabama's most notorious killers was denied parole in Montgomery - at least for the next five years.
Edward Seibold, now 66 years old, was convicted of brutally murdering three girls in their Auburn home in September of 1967: 8-year-old Mary "Mae Mae" Durant, 9-year-old Mary "Lynn" Sinclair and her 18-year-old sister Elizabeth Sinclair.
He also injured the victims' mother, Juanita Sinclair, by shooting her in the arm during the attack.
Forty years later, the crime still haunts the town.
"It made you a little more aware of dangers and people that could become dangerous through mental illness or whatever it might be," said James Sprayberry, a neighbor.
After his capture, Seibold pleaded guilty and is serving three life sentences. He was denied parole in 2002 and 2007. He will be up for parole again in 2017.
"We are opposed to any consideration of parole for this individual, based on his actions the night back in September 1967," said Sheriff Jay Jones of the Lee County Sheriff's Office. "We feel like the community demands that this individual remains behind bars for the rest of his life."
Chairs were filled with friends and relatives at Alabama's State Board of Pardons and Paroles this morning, all pleading why Seibold should not be released.
The family did not want their faces shown, but shared with the board how their lives had been forever changed because of the events that night.
"I want him to serve his whole life sentence," said Juanita Sinclair. "It will reduce his debt to society for taking the lives of those precious girls."
No one was present to on behalf of the inmate, knowing that odds were not in his favor after being denied parole in 2002 and 2007.
"This inmate has no idea of a hint that he will ever be released from prison," said Robert Longshore, associate board member. "He did not even submit a release plan for his pre-parole hearing interview."
Many local and state authorities were also present at the hearing and plead to the board in support of the family.
With a quick deliberation, board members refused the release of Seibold on parole and put off his next hearing for the maximum of 5 years.
"We are very appreciative to the board and their ruling today," said Sheriff Jones. "Certainly we think it was absolutely the appropriate thing to deny Mr. Seibold's parole and we are here for the family, that our primary concern."
Friends, family and the city of Auburn can now rest easy knowing Edward Seibold is behind bars and most likely will be for the rest of his life.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest