Auburn to host Independence Day celebration at Duck Samford Park | News
AUBURN, AL (WTVM)- This Fourth of July, the city of Auburn is asking people to obey an ordinance that bans fireworks within city limits.
They are inviting everyone out to the Independence Day Celebration at Duck Samford Park Wednesday night starting at 6:00 for the Briggs and Stratton sponsored fireworks display. The fireworks are slated to go off at nine.
"The national fire protection agency just released data in 2010 where there were 15,500 fires caused by fireworks, and of those fires there were 8 deaths that led to $36 million in property damage," said Rodney Hartsfield, Auburn Deputy Fire Chief.
Hartsfield said with the drought conditions, Auburn firefighters will be out in force Wednesday night around the fireworks display to put out any potential fires.
If the festivities are rained out, the event will be held the next day on the 5th.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest